Thursday, April 12, 2012

Who to talk to when your child needs cardiac care

After spending a little more than two years on the heart parents board at BabyCenter community, I realized that among us we amassed some pretty amazing resources among Cardiac surgeons.  Here are some of the doctors found and their specialties.  These are the people to talk to when your child is diagnosed with a complex congenital heart defect.  

First and foremost, if you don’t know who else to ask, talk to Boston Children’s they have had the most experience overall and are a good starting point.  If your child has been given a poor prognosis and you haven’t talked to at least one of the folks below, contact them now!  

If you have trouble getting a hold of them, talk to other moms who’ve been there and see if they have contacts that can help you reach out.  Sometimes what your doctor doesn’t know can make all the difference.

There are a couple of great resources from US News and World Report.  One is the list of the best Pediatric Hospitals.  The other is a link of the best doctors